Monday, March 24, 2008

Guilty Pleasure: Part 1 of a zillion

Last season I got hooked on Dancing With the Stars, and I developed plenty of opinions about it. Nobody else I know watches the show, so I had to keep all these opinions to myself. I don’t like doing that. So this season I’m posting them on my blog! Lucky you!

Marisa Jaret Winokur is absolutely adorable. She is even bubblier than Sabrina last season and, like Sabrina, has not an ounce of fakeness to temper her enthusiasm for dancing. She doesn’t have Sabrina’s natural talent, but it was hard to tell, since her partner mostly just danced circles around her and gave her a few moves that involved wiggling her fingers. Oh, Tony, she’s not going to explode you let her twirl around a few times! (Last season he danced with Jane Seymour, who was a fine dancer but an uptight, ungracious competitor.) In one of the most unfair aspects of the judging, Marisa’s score was reduced for lack of content, which was not her fault. Even the lack of actual moves did not justify Len (a gentler version of Simon Cowell’s moodily critical British head judge) giving her the same score as Penn Jillette.

In Penn’s support, he did throw himself un-self-consciously (and literally) into the routine, and he gets props for going for the gold that way. I enjoy him as a magician, disagree with his politics, and appreciate that his lack of talent didn’t temper his enthusiasm. Still, go to abc.com and watch the 2-minute clips of their dances (Penn from Monday night 3/17 and Marisa from Tuesday night 3/18) and tell me if they honestly deserved similar scores. Marisa scored 2 points higher overall, thanks to the other judges not being on crack.

Priscilla Presley had been coming across as snotty and stiff in the previews, and her lack of enthusiasm seemed to be more than just the consequences of her membership in the Doctors-Say-Yes-Cosmetic-Procedure-of-the-Month Club. It turns out she’s actually rather shy and was quite nervous about the competition. I understand that much of the persona projected backstage can be affected by editing, but I still kinda like her in spite of my early prejudices. She also danced very gracefully.

I thought Christian should have gotten better marks for his footwork, but I agree his posture was not the best, and I suppose that’s why they have professionals to judge these finer points.

Steve Guttenberg may win my support just by being so disarmingly enthusiastic about being on the show.

Kristi and Mario, the judges’ favorites, danced very well, but they haven’t won me over yet.

I’ll have more to say after tonight’s competition. Feel free to reply with your impressions of the show.

1 Comments:

Blogger Clan Hill said...

I have only seen a few clips, but I do know that I want to put Steve Gutenberg in my pocket to keep as my personal motivational speaker.

March 26, 2008 at 5:50 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home