Thursday, September 20, 2007

I dream of a pool full of quick, delicious recipes I have not eaten once a week for the past six months.

This is a copy of an e-mail I sent this morning, including the forwarded chain letter portion at the bottom, which I obviously did not write. I went back and counted, and I sent it to 19 people. Now you can start your own, unless I already sent this to you, which I probably did.


Hi,

When you were nine, it was a chain letter for new friends and penpals. Then you got a little older, and somebody tried to convince you if you sent a dollar to the person at the top of the list, you would receive three kajillion dollars and never have to do another book report (like all pyramid schemes, irrationally tempting, despite its fishiness and eventual illegality. Kind of like the lottery, which is still legal). Then it was a panty exchange, in which I did not participate, mostly because I hate the word "panty".

Now we are all grown up. Well, sort of. Ok, not really, but we all have grown-up kitchens, with stoves instead of hot plates and freezers that are completely separate from the refrigerators. All you big city folks about to contradict me, move to Richmond and you can have all this and more!

I will post all delicious recipes I receive on my blog, so all three of my readers can try them out too.

Read on for the instructions, as well as some rather fuzzy math about how many recipes you should eventually receive (perhaps they are trying to predict how many people will actually forward this, then how many of their friends will actually send a recipe. I doubt that much effort went into it, though, and the random number 36 has more to do with daydreaming about what you would do with all those dollars arriving one by one through the mail and turning your bedroom into a Scrooge McDuck-style swimming pool instead of paying attention in math class).

It all goes out the window, anyway, because who knows exactly twenty people who are computer literate, enjoy goofy things, and like to cook and talk about food? I've assessed you all to meet the above-listed criteria, and if you don't, or you're annoyed I sent you this, I'm sorry. Just delete it, no hard feelings. At least not on my part.
xo,
Me

1. myfriend@something.com
2. me@something.com

You've been invited to be part of a recipe exchange. Please send a recipe to the person whose name is listed in the number 1 positionabove (even if you don't know them) and it should preferably be something quick, easy, without rare ingredients. Actually, the bestis the one you know in your head, and can type out and send right now. Then, copy this letter into a new email, move my name to the number 1 position, and put your name in the number 2 position. Only your nameand mine should appear in this list when you send out your email.Send this to 20 friends. If you cannot do this within 5 days, pleaselet me know so it will be fair to those participating. You shouldreceive 36 recipes. It is fun to see where these recipes come from!Seldom does anyone drop out because we can all use new recipes! The turn around is fast because only 2 names are on the list.

1 Comments:

Blogger Anna said...

I did it! But I only sent it to 14 people, and my controlling nature forced me to edit the instructions to make them a little less, ah, perky. Clearly, I have issues. This is not news. I can't wait to get recipes! I'll let you know if I get any real winners

September 20, 2007 at 11:52 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home