Sunday, August 12, 2007

An Update and a Recipe

I’m sorry, I cannot tell you why the fonts are so funny on that last post, and I cannot seem to fix it. Please post a comment if you can help me.

We left off at dinner Thursday. Friday we went to my cousin’s for a splendid dinner (we grilled our eggplants there), and Saturday we went out of town for the wedding. My parents reminded me the bride might take it amiss if we asked for a doggie bag, but they did arrive to pick us up with a bag full of reinforcements: canned salmon and tuna, raw sunflower seeds, a little tomato sauce and a hunk of real Parmesan. (That’s right, not even Pecorino, but Parmiggiano Reggiano!) Nothing too obvious, no meal in a box, but raw materials to challenge our creativity. They dropped us off with a box of peaches, too. Hurrah for parents!

Wednesday is payday, so we’ve got three more nights until we go grocery-shopping (unless we break down and put it on our credit card, which might make my thrifty Dutch/Irish/Louisiana French heart stop ticking).

Before I forget, here’s the recipe for the lovely and versatile black bean spread. It’s like hummus, except it’s made of things you’ve always got on hand. Sometimes we mere mortals run out of tahini or even garbanzos. If you don’t have a pantry full of black beans and all-natural peanut butter, I probably don’t know you well enough for you to read my blog. I suppose I should be a bit more welcoming though, and relish the chance to expose you to the rabbit food I so dearly love (a label my co-workers attached to my cuisine, and one I won’t deny, as the my auto-spellcheck underlines every third word in my postings. Someone needs to expose these poor computer programmers to the healthnut foodie side of life.)

Black Bean dip
16 oz.-ish can of black beans or 8 oz. dry beans, cooked overnight
½ cup lime juice
3 cloves minced garlic
½ c. chunky peanut butter (fresh or all-natural nothin’ but peanuts is best)
2 jalapeno chilis (I use a honkin’ tablespoon canned
½ c. cilantro (or parsley)
salt to taste
2 Tbsp. olive oil to top

Drain the beans. Blend lime juice, garlic and peanut butter in the processor. Add beans and process until smooth. If it is too thick, you can add a little warm water at this point, but I never seem to have to. Add the chilis (You could probably do the recipe without these. I’ve never tried, but I bet you could use crushed red pepper.), Add the greens and pulse. Taste and season with salt and more garlic or lime juice, according to your preference. Drizzle olive oil on top.

I like to roll it up with fresh vegetables in a tortilla for a wrap sandwich that will not go soggy in the work fridge. It’s also great as a condiment for sandwiches or for dipping tortilla chips, crudités or toasted pita.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home