Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Sorry to keep you waiting, friends.
Sunday night we had those frozen potstickers. I'm okay with it, though, because we made it all the way to the end of the week without relying on convenience food, which I consider a major accomplishment.
We stepped it back up on Monday night with the fantastic Hot Pasta with Cold Tomato Sauce, a recipe from Craig Claiborne that is so delicious that you will drink the leftover sauce off the edge of the plate and dribble a little down your chin and onto your white shirt, because of course you are wearing a white shirt when you eat this liquidy red goodness. (Ahem) I mean you would do that if you were not a classy broad like me.
Basically, you take a whole lot of very ripe, fresh tomatoes (preferably grown by you, a family member, or a friendly organic farmer) and blend it in a blender with garlic, parsley, olive oil, and salt and pepper. This is one of those recipes you just keep tasting until the flavor balance tastes right to you, but you won't mind because it is so easy and good. While you (or your cooking buddy) adjust the seasonings, throw some pasta into boiling water. When it's done, strain it, put it back in the pot and stir in some olive oil. This is one recipe where I don't like to mix the pasta and sauce before serving because contrast in temperatures is rather refreshing. I don't recommend skimping on the salt; I do recommend a bit of crumbled blue cheese on top.

Tuesday night...
Well, some may call Tuesday night cheating. I went to the grocery store on Tuesday night after yoga and wrote a check for the groceries. I just couldn't quite handle waiting one more day. The thrill of shopping wore me out so much that I had a peach and cottage cheese for dinner. It was actually quite tasty.

I sometimes wish we had spent hours and hours poring over our cookbooks and cross-referencing them with our pantry list to create fabulous five-star stone soup. But it's just the two of us, and we both work outside the home, which often means we lack not only the time but the energy to be fabulously creative in the kitchen during the week.

We made a few trips to the grocery store in between, for the bananas (medicinal purpose!!) and also for milk and cereal (I am even less capable of creativity in the morning.). I'm fairly proud that we made it through the week without dying of hunger or ordering take-out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home